8.18.2008

Chasing the Storm

Saturday night, Bonnie sent me a text message saying there was a thunderstorm warning alert for our county on TV. This is a significant event because, though we get massive amounts of rain, we rarely see lightning. So of course I went outside to have a look. I LOVE thunderstorms. Wolf Boy was none too happy about it, having had a few very close calls with lightning... but came out and admired the show as well. Hans came over and watched with us, and Wolf Boy persuaded some of the neighbors to come watch as well, even though one of them was so terrified of the storm that she jumped every time there was thunder. Hans said that in his 10 years living up here, it was the greatest light show he's ever seen from a storm.

When things died down, Hans went home, and Wolf Boy and I went over to the neighbor's, where we pooled our food, ate, and watched a T-rex documentary, followed by one on octopi, then headed home.

Sunday night there was lightning again, and we tried to stand around in one of the fields on campus to watch it, where the view wouldn't be obstructed by trees and lights. Things had just started picking up when Wolf Boy and Hans decided it was time to go home to bed... only midnight! (party poopers) I drove out a mile or two from town and pulled into a field access, where I parked and watched the storm. Took some pictures of the moon, when it creeped in and out of the clouds, and tried to get a shot (or some video) of the lightning. No success there, unfortunately. There was music playing from someplace nearby at first... a farmhouse down the road, I think? It went well with the nighttime scene and occasional lightning flashes. I also saw a possum wandering down the road. The storm picked up, but seemed always out of reach, with the lightning and thunder dancing across the coast range but never coming into the valley, and eventually I went home.

No comments: